[c-nsp] CSR1000V and CPU usage

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Aug 12 16:34:38 EDT 2015

On 13 Aug 2015, at 1:24, Robert Hass wrote:

> I deployed Cisco CSR 1000V as edge router in DataCenter.

Deploying any variety of software-based router at one's edges is a
mistake, and has been for many years.

The Cisco virtual stuff is great for labs, training, testing, and so
forth - kudos to them for producing it, and I hope they do even more
with their virtual versions.

That being said, there's no way I'd deploy any of it to route actual
packets on actual production networks.  Nothing against Cisco nor their
virtual stuff, but in any kind of Internet-facing environment,
software-only doesn't scale.

At some point in the future, this will change, as hardware-based
routers/switches/whatnots will take the 'nFV' trend even further, and
software hypervisor-based ones will gain direct, high-performance access
to serious hardware-based NICs, NPUs, et. al.  But for now, I personally
think it's way too soon to be doing this in production environments.