[c-nsp] MPLS router-ID

Paul paul at gtcomm.net
Thu Aug 13 20:00:50 EDT 2015

LDP transport-address is the address of which you tell the  neighbor on
that interface to send packets.  (such as defaults to the router id,
like a loopback)
If the loopback, or the router id of the router you are on is not
present in the IGP on other routers, you use the transport-address to
tell the other router on that interface to use 'interface' or you can
specify an IP.

example would be, remove your loopback from being advertised from ospf,
now no other router knows how to get to your loopback, but the LDP
router-id is still your loopback, so you override that by setting a
per-interface IP configuration to tell the neighbor router how to
establish a session with you

it has nothing to do with the source address of transmitted ldp hellos
(the udp discovery packets)
It has to do with the TCP session that is created after discovery.
example:
Router1 interface fa0/1  1.1.1.1 IP -> router 2 interface fa0/1 1.1.1.2 IP
router 1 loopback 5.5.5.5                   router2 loopback 6.6.6.6
router 1 loopback not in IGP               router2 loopback in IGP

this happens..:
router1 send LDP source 1.1.1.1 -> UDP MULTICAST hello
router2 respond, 1.1.1.2 -> 1.1.1.1 my router id is 6.6.6.6 , I will me
master and you will be passive
router1 says OK, my router id 5.5.5.5, make a tcp connection to me
router 2 can't make a tcp connection to 5.5.5.5 because it's not in the IGP!

and now...router1 interface fa0/1, add transport-address interface
<<skipping first 2 thing>>
router1 says OK, my router id(transport address) is 1.1.1.1 make a tcp
connection to me
router 2  6.6.6.6 make tcp connection to 1.1.1.1 and all is ok

Obviously this is a crude representation of what happens but it should
show you the value of the transport-address.

you can check the transport addr with show mpls ldp discovery detail