[c-nsp] Boneheaded pppoe subscribers...

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Aug 25 22:48:13 EDT 2015

Hi,

     I am migrating from a c7201 to ASR1000. I am doing pppoe
termination and I have always accepted any pppoe service name supplied
by the subscriber (even tho I purposefully always configured a blank
service name for any cpe devices I ever set out). Well, some boneheaded
subs decided to configure themselves and, suprise suprise, got it wrong
and put various variations of my business name in the 'service name'
field of their equally bonehaded home cpe gear, thinking that must make
it better. So to make a long story short, with my transition to ASR1000,
I am finding that my router doesn't accept just any old service name.
The ones that work all have blank as I intend, but any that are
configured with a non-blank service name, can't connect.

The config on my 7201 is:

bba-group pppoe global
  virtual-template 4
  vendor-tag circuit-id service
  vendor-tag remote-id service
  vendor-tag dsl-sync-rate service
  nas-port-id format c
  sessions per-mac limit 2
  sessions per-mac throttle 3 60 20
  sessions auto cleanup

The config on my asr1k/ios-xe is:

bba-group pppoe global
  virtual-template 1
  vendor-tag circuit-id service
  vendor-tag remote-id service
  vendor-tag dsl-sync-rate service
  nas-port-id format c
  sessions max limit 4000
  ac name mynameinlights
  service name match accept-null-service
  sessions per-mac limit 2
  sessions per-mac throttle 3 20 60
  sessions auto cleanup

Just wondering how to solve this. I don't anticipate really ever using
service name selection so it's just in the way here.

Mike-