[c-nsp] ASR920 Service Instance - when to 'rewrite ingress'

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Sun Aug 30 05:41:06 EDT 2015

Hi Eric,

Thank you for bringing this "new" feature/EFP type to my attention,

Reading the doc this feature addresses a specific use case where the BD ID used to bundle two or more ports/EFPs together happens to match the VLAN ID on all these ports/EFPs.

So where we used to do:

interface gigabitethernet2/0/1
service instance 1 ethernet
encapsulation dot1q 1
bridge-domain 1
service instance 2 ethernet
encapsulation dot1q 2
bridge-domain 2
service instance 3 ethernet
encapsulation dot1q 3
bridge-domain 3

we can now do:

interface gigabitethernet2/0/1
service instance trunk 123 ethernet
rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
encapsulation dot1q 1 - 3
bridge-domain from-encapsulation

-and frames with dot1q tag 1 would be inserted into BD1 automatically and so forth for VLAN tags 2 and 3.
-though one would lose the COS markings in this setup
-anyways this is a specific use case as most of the times VLANs do not match in two separate access domains.

  adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.