[c-nsp] Cache DNS servers

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Dec 1 14:41:05 EST 2015

Hi,

> I have little question about DNS servers that you use in your environment?
> We use bind on freebsd servers now. I did some benchmarks and found that
> google public DNS is 8 - 10 time faster than my own. So I decide change BIND
> for something more faster. I'm in MNO market.  Any suggestions?

just caching resolver? might want to look at unbound.... but google 10x faster than you even though
theirs are remote etc?

1) tune your server (MANY things can be done)
2) their caches are probably ready-populated with loads of stuff as they are operational..whereas your server
will have to go out to make queries.

..and 3) there are other dedicated lists for this sort of thing (in particular go to the
mailing list for the software you are running :) )

alan