[c-nsp] Equipment for a large-ish LAN event

Laurent Dumont ldumont at coldnorthadmin.com
Tue Dec 8 15:08:02 EST 2015

Hi gents,

This email might seem a bit strange but bear with me. I am a member of a
student club in Montreal named "Lan ETS". Every year, we organize on the
biggest LAN event in North-America. We have an amazing partnership with
Cisco where they allow us to request a fair amount of equipment so that
we can create the best experience for our players.

This year, we are looking into some equipment that slightly out of our
usual expertise. Usually, we target high-density stackable switches like
a 3650/3750/3850 with 48 GigE and 4 SFP for our 10G core. We design our
network around small "islands" of players all linked with each other
through a 2x10G fiber network. Everyone is assigned a public address and
we route everyone out through our core switch.

We were looking at either the Nexus 7004 chassis or the ASR 9004/9006
chassis as the core "switch". We would then use 48xGigE and 1x24 SFP+
line cards. Our actual port requirements and somewhat flexible but we do
need at least 4x10G Fiber ports. And at least 48 GigE ports for players
or access switches.

I'm also open to any suggestion within Cisco portfolio. Our needs are
pretty standard and nothing extraordinary but we would like to use this
opportunity in order to try new equipment and technologies that are
usually only seem within ISP and large networks.

I appreciate any input on the matter!

Thank you

--
Laurent Dumont