[c-nsp] Equipment for a large-ish LAN event

Laurent Dumont ldumont at coldnorthadmin.com
Tue Dec 8 20:19:56 EST 2015

Absolutely, I was trying to not add too much information but you are
right, it's hard to give advice when you don't have a full overview.

Here is what I can tell :

  * We are planning for slightly over 2000 seats(players).
  * All of our row of seats will accommodate 48 players, which fills one
    access switch.
  * Our topology usually consists of
      o 2960X with 48 GigE ports and 4 SFP as access switches for
        players. We use 2x1G as uplinks.
      o 3560 with 48 GigE ports and 4 SFP as distribution switches. They
        receive the 2x1G from the access switches. All of the
        distribution switches connect with each other with 2x10G in a
        ring topology.
      o We effectively have a 20G backbone for the players in a "ring"
        topology connecting all of the distribution switches.
      o During last year, our core was a 3560 with 4x10G connected to
        two distribution switches and a single 10G SFP for our internet.
      o We offer a gigabit connection to each player. No throttling.
      o The event room is divided into smaller sections of players with
        each row in a single vlan(we effectively have between 40-60 vlans).
      o All of our players use a public IP and are routed to the outside
        and into the wild internet.

Our actual needs are as follow :

  * Access switches have support 48-GigE ports for the players and
    2xGigE for the uplinks and maybe one more for a possible AP.
  * Distribution switches have to support within 24 and 48 ports GigE
    ports to support all the uplinks from the access switches. They also
    have to support the backbone with two 10G SFP.
  * Our core does have to support 4x10G and the internet fiber, usually
    1x10G.

In terms of features, it's nothing too unusual: IPV6, netflow,
arp-inspection and port-security.

Do not hesitate to ask for more information. I'd more than happy to
discuss anything regarding the network.

Thanks!

Laurent Dumont