[c-nsp] Equipment for a large-ish LAN event

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 10:01:33 EST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: Jared Mauch [mailto:jared at puck.nether.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 8:41 AM
To: Chuck Church <chuckchurch at gmail.com>
Cc: ldumont at coldnorthadmin.com; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Equipment for a large-ish LAN event

>If bandwidth isn’t an issue QoS adds no value and increases complexity unnecessarily.

I was thinking for worst case, perhaps a sore loser after getting killed in the game decides to generate traffic with the intention of creating issues, or maybe just fires up bit torrent or other bandwidth hog type things.  Granted I haven't played games in a good 8 years or more, but in my experience, the latency stats the game provides for you and others is something gamers watch.  They'll bitch if someone next to them has a claimed 1 ms advantage.  By priority queuing game traffic, no matter what else is going on, the game should still fly.  Obviously you don't want to starve out your management protocols with the QOS, but that is trivial overhead.

Chuck