[c-nsp] Equipment for a large-ish LAN event

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:31:51 EST 2015

> I was thinking for worst case, perhaps a sore loser after getting
> killed in the game decides to generate traffic with the intention
> of creating issues

That guy will generate traffic that looks like gaming traffic ...

> By priority queuing game traffic

... you will most likely have to police your PQ, therefor creating
an artificial bottleneck making the DoS even easier.

You would have to rate-limit gaming-traffic on each access-port,
but this is getting so complex, you would probably keep tuning
your QoS policies 12 hours into the event (can you really predict
game traffic *before the event takes place* and guarantee smooth
gaming in all conditions? I don't think so).

I would invest more time into a good netflow configuration
(and a baseball bat for the field engineer).

When talking about DoS, its very easy to makes things worse with
QoS and firewalls, thats what all I'm saying.

Regards,

Lukas