[c-nsp] cat 6800 performance mode

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 04:23:08 EST 2015

On 16/12/15 19:17, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 02:45:07PM +0000, Drew Weaver wrote:
>> Speaking of the 6800 does anyone know if they are still planning on releasing the 10T version of the Supervisor that was promised back when this product was announced?
>>
>> Without that there seems no reason for this product to exist vs an 8 slot nexus.
>
> You have much to learn about Cisco BU politics...
>
> (Hint: Nexus is like a totally separate company, with separate products,

Early on in the lifetime of the N7k M1 linecards, I heard a rumor from a
usually-reliable source that the Nexus BU had beaten the c6500 one to
the front of the queue for EARL8 and supporting hardware (which the M1
was built on), which accounted for the early lack of availability of
sup2T PFC4/DFC4.

Even if it's not true, the existence of the rumor is a good illustration
of the harm that these kinds of internal competition can cause to customers.