[c-nsp] Non Cisco SFP

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Feb 2 11:31:29 EST 2015

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 11:16 AM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 03:29:41PM +0000, Rick Martin wrote:
>> I am glad to see this thread, we are on the cusp of making the plunge into aftermarket optics
>
> Whatever "aftermarket" optics are - I would not go and by *used* optics,
> because that's about the only thing in modern hardware that truly ages,
> aka "optics burn out over time".

Agreed, general use optics shouldn’t cost you more than $300, and that is being quite generous.

If you wanted to program your own optics, apparently you can get one of these new raspberry pis:

http://eoinpk.blogspot.com/2014/05/raspberry-pi-and-programming-eeproms-on.html

It includes a link at the bottom for how to program the optics to be ‘cisco compatible’.

- Jared