[c-nsp] MPLS LDP Sync w/ ISIS over point to point Link

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 5 06:53:07 EST 2015

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, Troy Boutso wrote:

> Getting back to my point ... If I remove the mpls ldp sync on both
> routers the ISIS adjacency forms immediately. So this is definitely the
> culprit. How on earth is this feature supposed to work in a production
> environment? Am I missing something here?

I've had this problem 6-8 years ago, on XR. A router lost all its
connectivity, and when connectivity came back the ISIS session didn't come
up because LDP wasn't done, and LDP wouldn't come up because the loopback
prefixes weren't reachable because ISIS wasn't up. This isn't normally how
it should work, because ISIS should come up anyway, but with very high
metric. This doesn't seem to be the case on all XR codebases though. What
version are you running?

You probably have to choose between LDP session protection and "mpls ldp
igp sync" on your code base. You can't use both it seems.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se