[c-nsp] Cisco 6500 SUP720-3BXL upgrade to 15.1.2.SY4a question

Paul paul at gtcomm.net
Sat Feb 7 20:33:01 EST 2015

The new code will work.  I have confirmed it working back to 8.1(3) /
12.2(17r)S2. All line cards updated to  12.2(18r)S1.

The new features added are great!  However testing in the lab seems to
indicate that the 15.x versions use memory differently than SX versions.
Since the sup720 is limited to 1gb ram, always test out the new code in
the lab first. We noticed the new code splits up BGP info many more
chunks than the previous versions.  Also several other things.
I wish they would implement some type of memory compression for sup720,
which would extend the life of the platform considerably.
If someone could make a 2GB SDRAM Sodimm that would work in s720 they
could make a lot of money :)