[c-nsp] Packet Fragmentation

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Feb 12 16:42:48 EST 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 01:45:08PM -0500, Brian Christopher Raaen wrote:
> Currently, using Cisco 3800's.  Unfortunately, because the traffic is UDP,
> mss adjust can't be used to adjust the frame size.  The fragmentation is
> unavoidable as this involves VPNs and the applications can't be adjusted to
> try smaller sized frames.

"unavoidable" is such a strong word...

Like, just use bigger MTUs on the paths between the VPN routers, so the
VPN can carry full 1500 byte packets...

> Are there any documents that show the impact for each platform?  I can find
> pps, throughput, etc... but nothing says how fragments impact things.  My
> concern is that a larger router may not be any better in this particular
> regard than what I already have.

Fragmentation is usually not that bad, reassembly on the IPSEC endpoint is.

So your second best approach is to ensure that packets *in* the tunnel are
fragmented, so the reassembly is done on the receiving host, not the
VPN endpoint.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de