[c-nsp] [j-nsp] draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ipv6-16

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Feb 21 09:58:04 EST 2015

On (2015-02-21 13:28 +0100), Gert Doering wrote:

Hey,

> > And they get angry over broken/poor network performance not because they can't see P-core boxes in the traceroute.
>
> I get angry if my customers complain to me about poor network performance,
> and my upstream providers take away my ability to pinpoint the issue, to
> talk to the proper people to get it fixed.
>
> And we *have* terminated upstream contracts because of this.

I feel this is product dependent. For IP transit, customers want to have IP
transit with accurate RTT values.
For L3 MPLS VPN, at least our customers, specifically complain if code hiding
is not enabled.

There is no sure-fire way to do both in multiservice network. As in P transit
you can essentially only use label stack depth to determine if you want to do
core hiding or if you want to pop and send to source or back to ingress PE.

This can work reasonably well in fair-weather scenario, but during rerouting
or offSPF TE even IP transit product would either not get traceroute or get
incorrect RTT values.

--
  ++ytti