[c-nsp] ASR1006 Upgrade

Scott Miller fordlove at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 23:19:45 EST 2015

The proper steps for upgrading an IOS-XR are the following:

1.  install upgrade
2.  install add
3.  install activate
4.  install commit
5.  install deactivate
6.  install remove

You can not simply "boot system flash bootflash:NAME-OF-NEW-RELEASE"

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/crs/software/crs_r4-2/system_management/configuration/guide/b_sysman_cg42crs/b_sysman_cg42crs_chapter_010.html

Summary of Package Management

The general procedure for adding optional packages, upgrading a package or
package set, or downgrading packages on the router is as follows:

   1.  Copy the package file or files to a local storage device or file
   server.
   2.  Add the package or packages on the router using the command install
   add.
   3.  Activate the package or packages on the router using the install
   activate command.
   4.  Commit the current set of packages using the install commit command.

Scott