[c-nsp] Strange static MAC address entry is cisco 6500, anyone seen this?

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 15 17:16:28 EST 2015

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Maarten Carels wrote:
> Investigation learned however that both the 6500 had static entries in their MAC address tables for
> 3333.0001.0002

That's most likely the result of MLD snooping.  In this case "static" means
not "dynamic" (normal traffic-based MAC learning);  the switch put the MAC
entry there as part of the MLD snooping mechanism.

In my experience, MLD snooping is broken in various older hardware & in some
software.  You could try disabling it instead of overriding it with your own
static MAC entry.