[c-nsp] Cisco 10G gear

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sat Jan 17 03:21:53 EST 2015

On Friday, January 16, 2015, Chris Knipe <savage at savage.za.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a 6500 that I want to equip with 10G.  I am as confused as I can be
> in terms of what is / is not supported.
>
> I am looking at the WS-X6704-10G cards -
>
> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization
> /data-center-switching/net_business_benefit0900aecd805348f3.html and I'm
> mainly after the 4 port cards for a costing point of view, as well as to
> not
> have contention across the ports.  I will deploy 2 x 4 port cards in the
> 6500, and traffic will be at ~5Gbps or so per port.
>
> Using a standard SUP720 and the default forwarding (CFC) - would this be a
> workable solution, or would distributed forwarding (DCF3A/DFC3B/DFC3BXL) be
> *required*?  Also for distributed forwarding, would a SUP720-3B(XL) (or
> higher) be required?

Basically, yes, you need DFC to get your target rates. And it's more about
pps than bps. CFC in non classic mode is 30Mpps for the whole chassis. If
you have any classic cards you'll be stuck at half that (because the packet
headers are larger in this mode), 15Mpps. ... I don't think you can get a
SUP720 entirely without the PFC...as that's basically the bit that's doing
all the CFC decision making. The system will be limited in scale and
features to the lowest common denominator between your DFC(s) and PFC. This
is all in the FAQ below

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/107258-C6K-PFC-DFC-CFC.html

You can mix CFC and DFC based cards in a chassis, just remember all CFC
cards share the max 30Mpps regardless of their fabric oversub rate.

> I'm not really after features or such, we are taking about a simple layer
> II
> switch, with some basic VLANs.
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris.