[c-nsp] Cisco 10G gear

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Sat Jan 17 15:18:42 EST 2015

On 1/17/2015 4:53 AM, Andrew Miehs wrote:

>> On 17 Jan 2015, at 20:20, Chris Knipe <savage at savage.za.org> wrote:
>> Basic layer II switching and a few VLANs... Nothing fancy required at all
> Then you really should be looking at trident 1 or trident 2 based platforms. A 48 port 10g switch only uses 1ru and a lot less power than a 6500. 96 10g ports in 2ru... The 6500 is awesome if you need features, but for straight switching - it is probably overkill.
>
> So look at arista, juniper qfx, broadcom, etc, etc. And you may even be cheaper with a new one of these vs a refurbished 6500.

If all you need is 48 ports of 1G TX and 4 10G ports, look at a 4948E.
1U, dual power capable.  If you need more 10G ports, we've got a couple
of the 4500X (16 and 32-port models, can go to 40 1/10G total)
deployed.  These are great for L2 scenarios as well as things like
aggregating closet switches.  We've got a pair of 32-port models
aggregating floor 4507R+Es in our headquarters, with about 30-40 VLANs
being routed on the 4500Xs and VSS trunks to the 4507s. Neither of these
will take a full table though, but if you're on a Sup720 or 720-3B, you
aren't taking anywhere close to full routes either.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com