[c-nsp] Passive Client Mode - Best Practices?

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed Jan 28 16:55:35 EST 2015

We have a couple of Cisco 5500 WLC's serving ~230 AP's (a mix of 3502,
3602 and 3702 units) and 2500-3000 clients.

Am considering enabling Passive Client Mode as we get complaints from
users running VM's on their systems where things either don't work or
connectivity is disrupted (which would make sense).  NAT may be an
option as well, but making things "just work" for users is the
preference.

As I understand it, Passive Client Mode lets the WLC "learn" more than
one MAC address per associated device allowing it to perform proxy ARP
for virtual machines or devices which are configured with static IP's.

Impact would seem to be additional memory utilization on the WLC's?

Any other risks or considerations we should keep in mind before turning
this on?

Thanks,
Ray