[c-nsp] C6880-X auto-neg

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 28 16:58:50 EST 2015

On 28/1/15 22:29, Tim Durack wrote:
> C6880-X supports 10/100/1G/10G/40G on all ports. However, it does not allow
> you to configure auto-10-100, auto-1000, or disabled auto-neg and
> lock/speed duplex. Seems like a curious omission.

Is this with a copper SFP?

> Following the standards for GigE and beyond, we run auto on our facilities,
> but we still run into "carriers" stuck in the 90s. This could be a pain.

We standardize on auto-neg for all customers and peers.

I used to have issues at $previous_job back in 2009, but since then (and
at $current_job), we haven't come across any customers that weren't able
to support auto-neg.

Of course, this is one of those things where with enough customers
on-board, you're bound to end up having to hard-code settings.

Our 6880's are run as core switches - so only 10Gbps and a small set of
1Gbps links.

Mark.