[c-nsp] C6880-X auto-neg

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 11:57:53 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 3:16 AM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:58:50PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> > We standardize on auto-neg for all customers and peers.
>
> It's not customers, it's Telcos that Have Always Been Doing It This Way
> And So It Cannot Be Changed.
>
> Like, COLT, DTAG, ...
>
> (Now I wouldn't expect to connect a 10Mbit/Full link to an 6880X, but
> on the other hand, if it's the only device on-site and the only 10M link,
> I might be tempted to save putting a 2960 in place just to do media
> conversion...)

Not just Telephants, but "ISPs" too, Slogent being my most recent example.
Slogent will do auto, but this invalidates the SLA. ('Cos auto-neg issues
are obviously the most significant contributor to circuit issues...)

We can persuade most providers to do auto, but they behave like we are the
first to ask.

> gert
> --
>                                                            //