[c-nsp] ASR1K - Aggregate QoS Across subinterfaces?

Mitch Dyer mdyer at development-group.net
Wed Jul 8 20:51:19 EDT 2015

Hello Everyone,

I apologize if this post is either off-topic or inappropriate, first time posting.

We have a 1Gb circuit from a local carrier that aggregates circuits from several of our customers. Each customer gets handed to us with a separate dot1q tag. I'm looking to queue/police that traffic but am having trouble coming up with the appropriate strategy to do so across the two services we are looking to provide. The first service can be described as transit at a CIR while preserving voice markings to an upstream SIP provider that we peer with. The second service leverages MPLS L3VPNs to provide access to an IaaS service we provide, along with some other centralized services we host and/or peer with.

We're terminating this aggregated circuit on an ASR1002X. The transit customers seem pretty straight forward, at each sub interface have a parent policy that polices/shapes to the agreed upon CIR and then a child policy which handles individual classes of traffic. The L3VPN service seems to be a bit trickier as it's been sold as an aggregated service and doesn't have a specific CIR associated with each customer.

Is there a way to shape/queue the L3VPN customers as an aggregate of whatever resources are available?

A colleague suggested H-QoS but I've had a hard time distinguishing between it and the MQC documentation for the ASR1000 series.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch