[c-nsp] ME3600 migration to something with more 10 gig ports

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 13 11:00:10 EDT 2015

> Hi everyone,
>

> I'm needing more 10 gig ports in my CO's for purposes of upgrading my FTTH
> OLT shelves with 10 gig. I currently use Cisco ME3600's and do a lot of
> core ospf, and MP-iBGP over that for MPLS L2VPN's (eline, elan, etree) and
> L3VPN's (VPNv4 and testing VPNv6)
>

> I'm thinking about Cisco ASR920's for (4) 10 gig ports and several (1) gig
> ports. Would this be good ?

I would say so, yes.

Also keep in mind:
- the 2RU ME-3600X-24CX-M has 4x 10Gig ports (when buying the license, and disabling
  a log of Gigabit ports)
- the 2RU ASR-920-24SZ-IM can be equipped with a 2 port 10Gig module (so you
  have a total of 6x 10Gig ports on the ASR920 - just keep in mind that the
  ASR920 doesn't like/support oversubscription [1])

If thats not enough, the next step for a Cisco shop is the ASR9k.

Regards,

Lukas

[1] http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/hardware/installation/guide-24sz-tz/ASR920-24sz-tz-HIG/overview.html#pgfId-1090837