[c-nsp] ME3600 migration to something with more 10 gig ports

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jul 13 11:01:44 EDT 2015

On 13/Jul/15 16:50, Aaron wrote:

> I'm thinking about Cisco ASR920's for (4) 10 gig ports and several (1) gig
> ports.  Would this be good ?

The ASR920 24-port comes with 4x 10Gbps ports. For me, these aren't
nearly enough if you want to sell 10Gbps services to customers.

I'd generally use 2x 10Gbps ports for my uplink fibre. While Cisco
believe the two other 10Gbps ports can be used to address customers (and
they can), I wouldn't do it simply because the scale isn't there. I'd
need more 10Gbps port density for it to make any sense.

I'm afraid that if you're looking for anything with dense 10Gbps ports
for customer services with features, form factor and price points of the
ASR920/ME3600X from Cisco, you'll be hard-pressed.

> What are some comparable Juniper products that would fit here ?  Is Juniper
> better in that area ?

Juniper's ACX5000 units are multi-rate systems. Only problem is there
are Broadcom chipsets in there. Okay for most applications, but you may
hit fundamental issues that software can't rectify. That is why we
dropped our consideration for them.

Mark.