[c-nsp] Remote management console servers?

Scott Granados scott at granados-llc.net
Tue Jul 14 13:03:33 EDT 2015

Hi,

Wondering what people are doing / best practices for remote management generally in datacenter environments.  We have several datacenter with a mix of Cisco, F5, Juniper and Palo Alto equipment in each.  All have a similar RJ45 type console port and all are pretty much your garden variety devices.  Looking for a good solution to gain access when primary connectivity is disrupted.  I know back in the day we used 2610XM routers with the octopus cables but I’m wondering if there is better available now or is this still a good solution?  Do you all use out of band loops for remote management like DS1 / DS3 circuits from diverse providers, dial in, what’s the standard for remote management?  Do you also have your management networks isolated on their own (could be the same) management network or do you do some sort of VPN / VRF deal for normal non emergency management connectivity?  Any thoughts on the subject would be most appreciated.  The last time I built one of these was with 2610XM routers in the pops and 7206 routers as aggregation points in each geographic region linked together with different T1s and multiplexed to the 7206 regional routers with backhaul loops to the NOC.  Seems like a bit of overkill for my application now but if this is still the best practice then it might be worth while.  Any pointers or other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you
Scott