[c-nsp] Remote management console servers?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jul 15 06:14:40 EDT 2015

On (2015-07-15 09:10 +0100), Howard Jones wrote:

Hey Howard,

> Do you have a URL? The only things I can find run on a PC, not the router
> (conserver.com), which *would* be another vendor in the comms cabinet...

That is correct. The job-1 setup was like this:

                             COMPETITOR_INET
RS232x8                            |
|                                  |
OOB_CPE1 ----DMVPNoIPSECo4G------ ASR1k --- conserver-server
                                   |  |
                                   |  |
OOB_CPE2 ----E1--------------------+  +------ Our_NMS

RS232x8

So it's just one conserver in centralized location, where we haver servers
anyhow, physically connected to the ASR1k, which collects the OOB_CPE's.

We could have two ASR1k and conserver in different pops, but we decided to
avoid complexity, and fix one problem at a time. If that pop burns down where
ASR1k is, we'll lose all OOB, but then we'll just fix that pop, before fixing
any other potentially parallel problems.
(If that pop burns out, our competitors are in great pain too)

4G is terminated via competitor INET, so it does not use anything from our
infra, we can reach the ASR1k and conserver via competitor, if situation is so
bad that our NMS does not work.
E1 is using our own SDH infra, so in a way it's less robust than the 4G.

--
  ++ytti