[c-nsp] High speed PPPoE BRAS recommedation?

Martin Lorentz ml at goetel.net
Mon Jul 20 05:25:16 EDT 2015

Hello,

we're in the process of replacing some Juniper ERX BRAS with something more capable. It should handle some 400-500 dual-stacked PPPoE-over-VLAN sessions with speeds ranging from 30-200 Mbit/s (strong bias towards the lower speeds). Research on the Cisco website pointed me to the ASR-1001X, which seems to support what we need (broadband feature set, shaping/policing dual-stacked sessions via RADIUS, GE/10GE ports, sufficient aggregate bandwidth, price within budget). Since the 1001-X is a relatively new platform, has anyone real world experience with this platform as PPPoE BRAS for small scale high speed DSL aggregation or would you recommend another model?

Thanks
Martin