[c-nsp] High speed PPPoE BRAS recommedation?

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Mon Jul 20 08:24:00 EDT 2015

HI Martin

> Hello,
>
> we're in the process of replacing some Juniper ERX BRAS with something more
> capable. It should handle some 400-500 dual-stacked PPPoE-over-VLAN
> sessions with speeds ranging from 30-200 Mbit/s (strong bias towards the
> lower speeds). Research on the Cisco website pointed me to the ASR-1001X,
> which seems to support what we need (broadband feature set,
> shaping/policing dual-stacked sessions via RADIUS, GE/10GE ports, sufficient
> aggregate bandwidth, price within budget). Since the 1001-X is a relatively
> new platform, has anyone real world experience with this platform as PPPoE
> BRAS for small scale high speed DSL aggregation or would you recommend
> another model?

We use asr1k successfully for this , there is one gotcha that we have with the solution aggregating vlan bandwidth that we have not found an easy way to handle.
We have a 1gig interface with 100Mbs of bandwidth where subscribers arrive on vlans 1:xxxx 2:xxxx and 3:xxxx , another 100 Mbps for vlan 5:xxxx, 6:xxxx 7:xxxx , etc
If you create an aggregate bandwidth for the vlans/subinterfaces, you cannot do pppoe termination.
The only way we found was by xconnecting two ports, not the cleanest solution but it works.
The asr9k with shared policy instance seems to be able to do this.

If you do not need to aggregate vlan/subinterface bandwidth the asr should have no issues at all.

Brian