[c-nsp] How to skip the check RSVP makes for router alert ?

Koch, Andrew andrew.koch at tdstelecom.com
Fri Jul 31 01:06:46 EDT 2015

> On 31 Jul 2015, at 4:08, Bala Subrahmanyam Venkata wrote:
>
> All-
>
> Is there a way to make IOS skip the check for RA (router-alert) option
> in RSVP Path message ? I have a router that's sending such Path
> messages and IOS is skipping with following error
>
> "Received PATH without Router-Alert option - ignoring"

RFC2205 for RSVP states that the Router Alert must be used for Path messages.

         o    Router Alert

              RSVP must be able to cause Path, PathTear, and ResvConf
              message to be sent with the Router Alert IP option.

RFC6398 does discuss considerations for using Router-Alert Options, but all discussion in regards to RSVP state that RSVP is deployed within the same administrative control/protected environment and no recommendation is made to remove the must wording from RFC2205.

What version and router type is originating these Path requests?

Andy