[c-nsp] CoPP on 7600s

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Tue Jun 30 18:06:31 EDT 2015

I have never run into a problem with using deny in a CoPP ACL.
It ends that specific class processing if the deny matches.
The next class will still be processed properly (or at least I have never run into a problem).

We use separate BGP and BGP flags groups in our network.
So BGP is one and any port 179 source or destination with SYN, FIN, or RST set is another.
We also have a default BGP class so all BGP works but if it isn't specifically allowed it can be slow
To converge.  We make updating the ACL part of the BGP provisioning process.
Since we have to update prefix-lists as well, this isn't extraordinarily difficult.

We break out classes for pretty much everything we can.
Complex CoPP tends to work better and need fewer major changes.

As for HWRL, we use glean and mtu-failure.
Use of other rate limiters can cause the CoPP to be bypassed on ingress
And all CoPP to be done in software on the RP.

One important thing to remember with CoPP is to baseline before you
implement dropping traffic.  That way you can verify what you are doing
will not affect normal operations.

Mack McBride | Network Architect | ViaWest, Inc.