[c-nsp] Cisco console port to USB

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Mon Mar 2 13:10:30 EST 2015

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015, Matthew Huff wrote:
> Since Newer PC laptops and all Mac Laptops no longer have a serial port,
> what are people using to connect to Cisco console ports from laptops? Does
> someone make a direct USB to Cisco console port (RJ45) or do people buy a
> serial to usb cable and use the stock cisco cable?

I do a USB<>RS232 adapter with a DB9<>RJ45 cable (actually more often an
RJ45<>RJ45 cable & DB9<>RJ45 adapter which comes with a lot of network gear).

This is my favorite USB<>RS232 adapter thing:
    http://www.coolgear.com/product/dual-port-rs-232-usb-to-serial-plugin-adapter

It's very light & pretty small, yet has 2 ports so you can do stuff like
watch both console ports on a dual-supervisor router during an ISSU.