[c-nsp] ospf (passive-interface default)

CiscoNSP List cisconsp_list at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 3 15:41:27 EST 2015

Hi Everyone,

Dont have a lab handy to test this, so hoping someone can answer:

If you configure:

router ospf 1
network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.3 area 1

without passive-int default, will ospf be "enabled" on all Interfaces, or just the Interface with 10.10.10.0/30 configured on it?

I was always under the impression that (best practice) is to do the following, so that ospf is disabled on all ints, apart from the ones configured with "no passive int foo"

router ospf 1
passive-int default
no passive int gi0/1
network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.3 area 1

...and,  (As an alternative) is configuring ospf under each interface now a method many use instead of the above example?

...I havent tried the "per int" method (I will later today), but in theory, I think having all the config under "router ospf xx" would be easier to maintain...i.e. all the config is in the one section for ospf?

Cheers.