[c-nsp] N7k PIM Anycast RP - Do we still need MSDP to sync RPs?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 09:41:53 EST 2015

On 05/03/15 10:00, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 03:19:09PM -0800, Tim Stevenson wrote:
>> You do not need MSDP under this configuration, Anycast w/PIM &
>> Anycast w/MSDP are two different ways to do basically do the same thing.
>
> So, pure curiousity: I know how Anycast w/MSDP works, but with classic
> IOS, there is no "Anycast w/PIM" - how is this done, protocol-wise?

The PIM RPs forward the PIM register to the other PIM RPs, if it didn't
come *from* one of those RPs. They do it over "real" IPs rather than the
anycast IP, of course.

It's been around on JunOS for ages, and works great. Never tried it on
supporting Cisco boxen, but I imagine it works just the same.