[c-nsp] N7k PIM Anycast RP - Do we still need MSDP to sync RPs?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 12:25:21 EST 2015

On 05/03/15 16:46, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:
> That is great for intra-domain use -one learns something new every day :)
> Strange I have never came across this RFC 4610 when played with Anycast
> RPs.
> And would you have all the filtering options and knobs as with MSDP?

No, why would you want it? Surely the point of anycast-RP is to have
them all identical?

MSDP does have some advantages over PIM for this case, specifically when
you reboot an RP, it will recover the existing source state immediately
over the MSDP peering, as opposed to having to wait for the registers to
be re-sent from the DR(s).

OTOH MSDP is one more protocol to run.

Swings and roundabouts; it's nice to have both options. We went for it
on the basis of simplicity.

Cheers,
Phil