[c-nsp] 10Gb+ "Core" w/ Netflow

CiscoNSP List cisconsp_list at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 12 18:59:34 EDT 2015

Hi Everyone,

We have an (unfortunate) requirement to support legacy services that are billed via Netflow....this will change to fixed rate/95th, but it will take 12-24months, so our Interpop, IPTransit and Customer Inet tails all have to be on equipment that supports Netflow (Currently ASR1K's)

We have seen a huge jump in customer tail "sizes" over the last 6months, and can see that the existing 1Gb Interpop links will not be sufficient in the short term....Currently, these links are going directly into ASR1K's.

We use ME3600's for L3VPN tails only (As they unfortunately do not support Netflow).

After suggestions on an upgrade path from 1G -> 10Gb+ - We can do mulitple 1Gb links between POP's, and ME3600->ASR1K(For VRF/VPLS traffic), but it seems more like a bandaid solution, and we are limited at some POP's with port density (i.e. ASR1001's).

Do we stick with ASR1K's, but larger ones (1004, 1006), so we can install single port 10Gb SPA's...or something else that supports Netflow, but higher density 10Gb...or bandaid (Multiple 1Gb ports) until we no longer "require" Netflow for billing...If netflow wasnt in the equation, what platform would be recommended for 10Gb+ "Core" (i.e. push the ASR1K's out to IPTransit/Peering, ME's for L3/L2 termination(PE), but what for the "core"(P)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.