[c-nsp] BGP dram confusion

Erik Klaassen e.klaassen at fr-ix.nl
Fri Mar 13 05:46:19 EDT 2015

I get the 3bxl has its limitations. I can live with the cpu and i dont need full bgp necessarily.
But what i dont get is the current memory consumption.

I filtered all the transits to only a default route. But still the memory stays at 90% full. I dont have soft-reconfig configured.

Why is

#sh ip bgp sum:
BGP using 64542178 total bytes of memory

But

#sh proc mem sorted
PID TTY  Allocated      Freed    Holding    Getbufs    Retbufs Process
 496   0  873738484  270014880  507419984          0          0 BGP Router

And thus the eating all the memory.

On a old 3800 we had basically the same config, bgp used around 300mb and total memory use was around 400mb.
I dont see why the total memory consumption is 900mb and bgp only 300 (now 64 btw).
i have no full table any more but the memory use hasnt droped. some must be wrong with me or my router.

Thanks, Erik