[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Mar 18 16:52:22 EDT 2015

On 18/Mar/15 22:47, quinn snyder wrote:

> we’re seeing a larger uptake of these boxen in locations/customer
> environments were migration from tdm/serial to ethernet is occurring.
>  think legacy monitoring systems wherein sonet/scada was used and
> there is a requirement/desire to replace gear and move towards
> converged ip infrastructure.  the issue is that some
> sensors/interfaces aren’t natively ethernet and require some low-speed
> interface to bring it into the ip domain.
> however — this falls in line with what you’ve talked about with
> low-speed “mix-n-match” flexibility.  i think cisco’s market
> (initially) was cell-site/ran backhaul.  i’ve not done a price/module
> comparison between asr1k and asr902/903 — but would assume it comes
> down to requirements.  both types of kit have been solid (with their
> oddities, of course) in my experience.

I've never used the ASR902 or ASR903, so can't speak from experience.

But looking at their density, my guess is they'd occupy much less space
than an ASR1004 or ASR1006, so that would make sense given an ASR1000
packed with tons of low-speed ports won't need that much 1Gbps or 10Gbps
Ethernet uplink real estate to soak up space.

However, I have a feeling IOS XE on the ASR1000 may be more feature-rich
than IOS XE ASR901 (based on some of the feedback those operating the
box have posted in recent months). But, of course, I could be wrong...

Mark.