[c-nsp] DFZ-in-a-VRF: ASR1k per-ce label TTL troubles

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 18:11:10 EDT 2015

Hi Lukas,

That is an interesting "feature"
I would expect the same behaviour in both cases i.e. with per-vrf label the router pops the VPN label and founds a packet with TTL 1 decreases and sends to CE.
And in case of the per-NH label the packet should be switched out the egress interface based on the VPN label and again the TTL in IP header is decreased and packet sent to CE that generates the ttl expired msg upon receipt.

It might be that there's a bug on the code you are running and the "no mpls ip propagate-ttl forwarded" does not work and you need to use just the "no mpls ip propagate-ttl" instead (happened on MEs).
Or something in the production network triggers this so that it just happens that the PHP node sends a packet with MPLS TTL=0 forcing the egress PE to respond from the core interface IP address which is the standard behaviour.

adam