[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Mar 19 06:46:59 EDT 2015

On 19/Mar/15 12:40, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see so it's the same as MEs and RSP1/2 -A
> It's a shame that Cisco decided that 20k is enough and that's it, if
> you want more go buy ASR9000.
> But I can sort of see their point cause fully loaded ASR903 is like a
> "mini me" version of the big ASR and if it would support 128k prefixes
> that would be a killer box.

I know a vendor pushing product with tons of ports in 1U and 2U form
factor switches that can hold 128,000 entries in FIB, reasonably priced.
So this is not rocket science.

You need those kinds of scales to support MPLS in the Access.

One idea I've given a one vendor is license FIB slots. This way, they
develop a single version of hardware with a maximum FIB size that does
not break the bank, and license access to the FIB on a pay-as-you-grow
model, e.g., if you want 5,000 FIB slots, pay this; if you want 100,000
FIB slots, pay that, e.t.c.

I'd happily pay for that, because removing STP in the Access won't work
if vendors are pushing product with FIB space stuck in the '90's.

Mark.