[c-nsp] Nexus Layer 2 Multicast and IGMP querier

Scott Voll svoll.voip at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:17:40 EDT 2015

I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything correctly, But here is my 2
cents.

Cisco Live had a BUNCH of Nexus / Multicast sessions last year because with
the whole VPC / Active / active nature of Nexus it's a different beast.

we are using n5k's with Iayer 3.

But what we have found out is that Multicast does not flow over peer
links.  Thus one of the 5k's is the source the second one can hand out the
IP mroute to another connected device without the actual traffic.

Which lead us to put all of our layer three connected devices to run point
to point l3 rather than l2 vpc's

Then we had to figure out which 5k was the source and then add IP Mroutes
to the l3 connected devices to point to the correct 5k.

To add insult to injury we also found that VMware 5.1 vswitch has major
multicast issues.  so our Multicast server is being moved to a physical
box.  At least until we can get to a nexus 1000v or upgrade VMware to a
version that doesn't have Multicast issues.

YMMV

scott