[c-nsp] Cisco ASR9001 - Fan Tray

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Mar 20 13:13:57 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 01:09:06PM +0000, Scott Granados wrote:
> Seriously though, wouldn?t you think a vendor would build in the proper cooling and put the fans in the box instead of an extra tray?

Well, having the fans in a fan tray is a huge plus: *change* the fan tray
if a fan is defective, without having to shut down the device.

The fact that an ASR9001 doesn't come with... I find that a slightly annoying
marketing trick to get the price tag for the box itself down (same for "oh,
and you have to buy the power supplies, too!").  In the end, the price you'll
have to pay is the same either way, but it's much easier to get everything
right when ordering when there is just "an ASR9001 with AC PSUs and FANs".

OTOH, compared to the A9K-iVRF-LIC annoyance (which it seems you must by even
for the first VRF, even if the box does not complain right away) which is
*really* expensive, this is just minor nuisance.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de