[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Mattias Gyllenvarg mattias at gyllenvarg.se
Tue Mar 24 04:37:19 EDT 2015

I have no machine in production yet so this is speculation.
But the ASR920 has less bufferspace then the ME3600x, this may be handled
by design if you utilize the extra Te interfaces in a clever way. Thought
it makes it hard to make a case for the ASR920 to replace the ME3800x,
Unless cisco invents a license for more bufferspace.
I think that the ME3800X will be sneaking into the ASR9000 realm.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> On 24/Mar/15 10:01, Gert Doering wrote:
>
>> Well, I can only guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if actually *making*
>> the MEs is way more expensive (due to 3rd party chipsets being used) than
>> the ASR920s (Cisco's own new and shiny ASIC)...
>>

> I could be mis-remembering, but I think the ME3600X/3800X ASIC is an
> in-house unit (Nile, if memory serves).
>
> It was the ME2600X which was based on a Broadcom chipset. Suffice it to
> say, that box was promptly discontinued and replaced with the ASR920.
>

> Mark.

*Med Vänliga Hälsningar / Best Regards*
*Mattias Gyllenvarg*