[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 06:05:58 EDT 2015

It would be great if Waris could chime in to shed some light on what are the plans with ME platform.

Have you folks quoted the low density models or the high density models (ASR-920-24SZ-M/ASR-920-24SZ-IM) please?
As I can see how the low density models can be dirty cheap as they remind me of the ASR901.

So the ASR-920-24SZ-M 1RU fixed unit has 24GE and 4x10GE.
And the ASR-920-24SZ-IM 1.5RU modular unit has the expansion slot where one can put single xfp card or 2 port xfp/sfp+ card or T1/E1 card.
But since the switching capacity of the box is 64Gbps I don't see how the expansion slot would bring me any benefit.

Looks like a nice replacement for ME3600X-CX -i.e. reduction to 1RU + 16 more GE ports.
Let's just hope folks got the HW programing right this time around.

adam