[c-nsp] IP SLA?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 24 08:48:27 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 08:27:59AM -0400, Dan Brisson wrote:
> I'm curious what folks do in the situation where you have redundant
> links to your customers.  I'm speaking primarily in co-lo environments
> where you offer redundant Internet connectivity to co-lo customers.  So
> for example, you give a customer 2 ethernet handoffs from two separate
> Layer 2 switches.   Now what do you do if the customer wants to go to a
> routed model using both links.  I could allocate /30s for both links,
> but then I have the issue of how to reliably route their block to them
> w/out running a routing protocol that will detect if one of the links
> goes down.  That's where I came to static routes with IP SLA but I
> wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something easier.

Just run a routing protocol... *SO* much easier.

We use EIGRP for that (different EIGRP process, distribute-lists in and out,
so the customer can only announce his networks and will only receive default
from us), but for customers that cannot do that, we've also used BGP in
the past - more universally available, but way slower in falling over unless
used with BFD.

You could use static+BFD, but I bet that half of the available gear will
not support that...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de