[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Mar 24 10:24:36 EDT 2015

On 24/Mar/15 16:17, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> Fair point I agree but hierarchy is not the way to go. We should not
> be forced into troublesome topologies just because FIB space worth of
> 20k prefixes is considered to be enough for the access layer.

I can't argue with you there; I'm just thinking of all possible options.

I've already told myself Route Leaking is a no-no, but it's still an
option - the one that comes after "Option Z".

Of course, vendors will tell you to run pw's to the nearest PE router
and instantiate a service there, so I'm not turning to them for any
solution other than hardware. I'll have to twist IP into doing what I
want :-).

> What we did is we end up stacking boxes into locations that required
> more FIB space.

Which is why that 96-port switch from Juniper looks so tasty.

I suppose one could upgrade a 4-port ASR920 to a 12-port, but only if
there are hardware benefits.

Crap, more (good) vendors need to play in this space.

> And also multicast distribution is much better with mLDP compared to
> full mesh of PW so I don't need to try to sell a hybrid two services
> solution for L2VPN+Multicast(via L3VPN).

Loooooove mLDP...

> Don't even get me started with SDN :)
> To me it's just a woo woo, sorry about the advert but to me it's
> exactly like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr_EtMhM3fg
> Until they have ASICs capable of doing routing/traffic engineering
> based on application requests in real time for millions of flows at
> multiple 10Gbps rates it's all just a nice dream.

Hehe, woo woo - I'm using that...

Mark.