[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 19:53:19 EDT 2015

> I'm assuming one of the main reasons for buffers on a unit like this is
> the speed disparity between 10ge and 1ge ports, unless you're planning
> to do a lot of shaping (rather than policing) - is this correct?

Not sure if I understood what you meant exactly, but "speed mismatch"
and shaping both leads to output queuing in the end, the only difference being
that a speed mismatch is a hard physical limit, while shaping is a artificial limit.
In other words both a speed mismatch and a shaper needs buffers.

On the other hand, a policer doesn't need any buffers/queues (because it
doesn't queue packets).

Whether a specific buffer sizeis enough depends on the services you want to
provide, therefor the answer is "it depends".