[c-nsp] Internet in VRF

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat May 2 02:26:51 EDT 2015

On 2/May/15 02:27, Phil Bedard wrote:
> I think it’s a popular enough option these days in carrier networks that the larger vendors do plan for it somewhat at this point.   In the beginning there were issues with how labels are allocated (per-VRF or per-prefix) which leads to lots of potential issues.  The ability for the box to look deep enough into the packet as well to get good entropy for load balancing.  If you are doing something like seamless MPLS and carrying 3+ labels on a packet some gear may have issues.  You also may run into issues with not being able to impose enough labels for something like FRR/backup tunnels on an ingress node.  Like I said though, there are some large carriers doing this today so vendors have solved most of those issues by now.

Some vendors are building gear with off-the-shelf network processors
that have limitations into how many labels can be supported. Nothing you
can do about that since it's a hardware problem, and the vendors are not
going to be developing in-house network processors for those platforms
because the existing solution is quite cheap enough for them given the
competition.

Mark.