[c-nsp] MPLS interface continuity and OSPF configuration ME-3600X

Jeff Aitken jaitken at aitken.com
Sat May 2 07:23:58 EDT 2015

Instead of autoconfig, I've always used LDP/IGP synchronization.  This prevents the exact problem you are running into by setting the IGP metric to the max value if the IGP and LDP aren't in sync (e.g., if you've forgotten to enable MPLS on an interface).  See http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/mp_ldp/configuration/15-sy/mp-ldp-15-sy-book/mp-ldp-igp-synch.html for more info.

Peer-review of configs is obviously a great idea, but you will still run into cases where this might help.  For example, your NOC might be troubleshooting link issues and try removing parts of the config or perhaps moving configs to a new interface, etc.  If you end up with IP but no MPLS enabled, and you've got synchronization enabled, the link simply doesn't get used unless there are no other possible paths, which usually helps highlight the problem.

--Jeff

Sent from my iPad