[c-nsp] redistribute subscriber route leaking on ASR9k

Nathan Ward cisco-nsp at daork.net
Sun May 3 22:53:22 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Very much related to the “Internet in a VRF” discussion.

I’ve got a customer who's running ASR9k BNGs with Internet in VRFs, and has a couple of different VRFs that customers terminate in to, depending whether the customer needs to go via the NAT farm or not.

On the same BNG, they have another VRF with “services” in it. CDN, DNS, etc. that should be able to talk directly to the customers, whether they are in the NAT VRF or the normal VRF.

Pretty simple route leaking to get that to work. Services imports the NAT and straight Internet RT, and the NAT and straight Internet VRFs import the services RT.

However, we have found that ASR9k has a bug, where if these three VRFs are on the same router, routes advertised with “redistribute subscribers” don’t get installed in the “services” VRF. They show in the right place in BGP, and in the “sh route” RIB, but they don’t make it in to CEF.

The bug ID is CSCui68943, and Cisco apparently have no plans to fix it any time soon. It seems like a pretty big bug, so I’m naturally quite surprised that there’s apparently no demand for this feature.

Has anyone else hit this issue? Did you find some kind of work around? I’ve only come across one other reference to the problem on the Cisco forums, with no responses.
Any workaround we can come up with requires moving reasonably large amounts of traffic over extra interfaces, which isn’t really a good solution if you ask me.

We can, of course, put the “services” VRF on a different router, but that doesn’t work where we have POPs which consist of only a BNG and a CDN hanging off it.

--
Nathan Ward